Monday, April 30, 2012

Pain Tolerance Level: Asian

Why yes that IS Justin Bieber crying in the middle of a Scrubs meme. Sue me.

I see this elderly Asian farmer on the ward who has his foot covered by a cloth.

Me: Hello sir, I'm told you have necrotising fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria). Would you mind if I took a look?
Patient: No, go ahead. It's nothing great though.

Me (uncovering the leg): Oh, I've only seen NF cases in the UK. They're just red rashes mostly.

Patient: Yeah, this one is nothing much either.

I uncover his leg - AND THE ENTIRE FOOT'S SKIN IS GONE. Seriously, it looks like a
dissection model.

Me: ...holy crap. Why did you wait so long to come to hospital?!
Patient: Oh, it was starting to itch a little in the field, so I thought I'd get a doctor to check it out.

9 comments:

OmgItsTania said...

LOL Asian people are just cool that way. Although I seem to be a bit of an exception :(

Prickatron said...

*sigh* I wish I was Oriental Asian...A man can dream though...a man can dream...

dr wannabe said...

yeah not to be racist, but a consultant once told me that oriental asians complain about half the pain they feel, but south asians complain about twice the pain they feel. bit strangely worded, but u get the message...

The Angry Medic said...

ChocolateAndCream: NAWNSENSE. You're on ma blawg! All people on mah blawg are cool, dawg! Let's go smoke up an' shoot some nig-- okay you know what, I give up. This 'cool talk' is tiring. Damn kids.

No but seriously, let's hope we never have to find out how much pain you can tolerate!

The Angry Medic said...

Prickatron: Oh I know precisely why you want to be Oriental Asian. Oh ho YES.

*coughIwanttobeOrientaltoocough*

The Angry Medic said...

Dr Wannabe: Normally I wouldn't condone such jingoistic remarks here, tut tut, but OMFG THAT IS HILARIOUS. I come from a med school where these memes about race are widespread and tolerated. But seriously, ROFL.

Prickatron said...

ZOMG, you actually replied to my comment. Excuse me while I go through my omgthereallycoolguyactuallyrepliedtomethatssoawesome*giggleslikeagirl* phase. In other news, I finally confimed my place on Med School today, so I'll see you in hel-uh,I mean- on the wards in a few years time.

The Angry Medic said...

Prickatron: Whoa! Congrats! Are you SURE you wanna go through with it? I'm not even kidding, most doctors I know wouldn't encourage people to do medicine these days unless you had a real passion for it. It's not financially or socially rewarding anymore, which is why my idiot investment banker friends who graduated 3 years ago are all driving Beemers around whilst I kick-start my hand-crank jalopy in the morning. Blast.

Prickatron said...

I'll answer your question with a snapshot of my interview -

Interviewer: So, Prick, tell us, why do YOU want to do Medicine.

Me: Well, uh, you see, my parents want-

Interviewer:(sceptically)Your parents?

Me: I'm Asian, you see...

Interviewer: (nodding sympathetically) Ahh, I understand.