Saturday, May 21, 2016

Without an End, There Can Be No Peace


The early morning sunlight filters through the ward windows. I got the phone call even before finishing morning rounds. Mr X, our long-suffering elderly patient, had finally gone to the end of his pain.

The nurse at the counter hands me the file. "The night duty doctor called the family. The sons are on their way."

I look over at Mr X's bed. Sitting next to him, still holding his hand, was an elderly lady.

"That's his wife?" I asked the nurse. 

"His ex-wife. She hasn't left his side all night."

I walk over to the bed. The old lady was still staring at his face. Trying to approach as quietly as possible, I noticed that through streaks of dried tears on her face, she was smiling.

"Madam, I'm very sorry for your loss. He was a fighter, but he was in a lot of pain."

She turned to me, the smile still on her face. "No. Don't apologise. I'm happy he's free of all his troubles." She pulled out a tissue and wiped her eyes. "Without an end, there can be no peace."

"I'm sorry?" 

"Without an end, there can be no peace." She looked up at me, eyes now dry. "It was one of his favourite sayings. He used to tell me that all the time, even when we were married." She put his hand down gently on the bed, patting it as she did so. "In fact, it's what he told me when we finally got divorced as well."

"I see." I shifted uncomfortably in my shoes. What do you say to something like that? "It's nice of you to still come visit him."

This made her laugh softly. "No, we didn't hate each other. He was still the love of my life, and I was his. We just decided it wouldn't work. And after years of quiet suffering, we decided to go our separate ways." A single tear rolled down her cheek again. "He just always believed that sometimes things needed to end, finally and properly, before people could be at peace again."

She looked at his face. His eyes were closed. His expression was almost peaceful. Almost as if he was relieved.

I started to move away. "I'll be back once your sons are here, to settle the paperwork."

"Remember that, doctor." She looked up at me again. "It's good advice."

I found myself nodding as I walked away, leaving her to her final goodbye.

15 comments:

tracy said...



Angry! You are back! You can't believe how happy I am to see you!

I have missed you beyond belief!


Love, Momma tracy

The Angry Medic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tracy said...

Why do you hate me? I have followed you for so many years!

Alice said...

Thanks for Sharing...

Unknown said...

Uncomfortably in shoes is very irritating sichuation. airport parking gatwick
Gatwick airport parking

SeaSpray said...

Hi Angry - I enjoyed the post and will be pondering that for a bit. How sweet of her to be there with him through the end of this life. I've never been good about goodbyes, the permanent kind. I'm more of a "See you around" kind of SeaSpray, even tho I know it is good bye.

Stephen R Covey said...

"Without an end, there can be no peace.".Truly emotional.

best skin whitening soap  said...

I have enjoyed this post vey much
best skin whitening soap 
best face whitening soap

Deccan-Clinic said...

Hi, Very Nice article. At Deccan Clinic we are 7 Doctors. Exceptional Talent.
Distinct Experience.Intellectually diverse and driven by passion, we, at Deccan Clinic are on the forefront of surgery. Our tireless pursuit for surgical advancements has helped us bag appreciation, awards and worldwide recognition.
By being responsive and empathetic towards patients’ needs, we provide the best surgical treatment.
http://deccanclinic.com/best-surgeons-in-india

Healing Pharma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Healing Pharma said...

HI I AM FROM HEALING PHARMA .WE ARE CONTRACT MANUFACTURER/THIRD PARTY MANUFACTURER .WE ARE WELL KNOWN FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF SKINCARE ,painkiller & multivitamin PRODUCTS .
buy anti fungal cream online

Anonymous said...

Quelle est la taille de la source de ces grandes sbobet ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ données? Quelle quantité de données puis-je obtenir, car je soupçonne que ce contenu substantiel a été supprimé de la base de données?

Famousastrocanada said...

Thanks for sharing the fantastic post..
Click here to get a best astrological services contact. Best Indian Astrologer in Yukon

Unknown said...

Very good article, Thank you

Please Contact For Astrology Services

Best Numerologist In Bangalore

Genuine Tantrik in Karnataka